President Gotabaya Rajapaksa has brought six institutions under the Ministry of Defence issuing an extraordinary gazette on 22 May 2020.
Sri Lanka does not have a minister of defence but it is president Rajapaksa who acts as the unofficial minister of defence. According to the constitution, the president cannot hold any ministries. The deputy minister of defence is his older brother Chamal Rajapaksa. Ministry of defence functions under the Major (Retd) General Kamal Gunaratne, a Rajapaksa’s political ally.
The institutions taken over by the MoD are:
- Api Wenuwen Api Fund [The Api Wenuwen Api Fund is a collaboration between the Ministry of Defence and the Central Bank of Sri Lanka to build 50,000 houses for the serving Tri-Service personnel.]
- National Police Academy
- Miloda Institute (Academy of Finance studies) [The training Arm of the Ministry of Finance]
- National Authority for the Implementation of Chemical Weapons Convention [ National Authority for the Implementation of Chemical Weapons Convention (NA CWC) is an Authority established under the Ministry of Industry and Commerce according to Act No. 58 of 2007 to implement the international treaty “Chemical Weapons Convention” and fulfil its obligations.]
- Sri Lanka Institute of National Defence Studies [Institute of National Security Studies Sri Lanka (INSSSL) is the premiere National Security Think Tank of Sri Lanka established under the Ministry of Defence.]
- Department of Multi-Purpose Development Task Force. [Major General (Retd.) Nanda Mallawarachchi heads the Director-General of the Department of Multi-Purpose Development Task Force which aims to provide employment to 100,000 low income people. The Task Force was established under the Ministry of Home Affairs.]