3.2 C
Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Police and Politicians Obstructing Thajudeen Investigation; Another Secret Revealed

A senior officer of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) told Ceylon Today that a group of high ranking officials of the Police Department as well as a group of politicians are trying to scuttle the investigations into the killing of popular ruggerite Wasim Thajudeen.

A senior police officer said that the reason for the obstructions is that the senior officials who held senior positions by 2012 are still holding those positions. He pointed out that those officials were misleading the investigations and preventing the perpetrators being arrested even now.

Former Director of the CID D.L.R. Ranaweera (now DIG Ampara) had submitted a progress report of the Thajudeen’s murder investigation but till today no action has been taken.

Rugger player Wasim Thajudeen was found dead in his vehicle which was on fire near Park Road, Narahenpita on 17 May 2012. Police claimed it was an accident. But on 10 December 2015, Colombo Judicial Medical Officer, Dr. Ajith Tennakoon, announced that it was a planned killing.

In this backdrop, the statement of the CID officer confirms that the department has not taken action, so far, to question either Senior Deputy Inspector General Anura Senanayake who in 2012 supervised the Colombo Crime Division (CCD) or former Judicial Medical Officer Prof. Ananda Samarasekara.

Colombo Additional Magistrate, NishanthaPeiris, ordered the CID on 10 December 2015, to record statements from these two officers. The Magistrate also ordered to file the report on the investigation on 20 January 2016, when the case will be called again.

A prominent politico
The CID has also not taken action to arrest Captain Tissa who was the driver of a prominent politico.

However, the Spokesman of the CID said that efforts would be taken to proceed with the investigations on the murder, despite these obstacles. According to the Police Media Spokesman, ASP Ruwan Gunasekera, DIG S.A.D.S. Gunawardena and other officers, who were in the service at the time of the murder of Thajudeen, were questioned by the CID.

Meanwhile, Army Commander Crishantha de Silva told Ceylon Today that one Captain L.M.T. Wimalasena had been identified in the internal probe conducted by Army and he had been detained in a military camp in Jaffna.

However, media reports said that Captain Wimalasena is now trying to escape from Jaffna by sea. When inquired about these reports from Army Commander, he said that he would not hesitate to punish in case he tried to escape by sea or in any other manner. However, he said that he was not sure the person was the same one who was identified as Captain Tissa.

The Army Commander stated further: “You inquire about one Captain Tissa. But he must have a definite name. We conducted an internal investigation regarding Captain Tissa. We identified one Captain L.M.T. Wimalasena. We are now taking action regarding him in terms of Army procedures.”When we inquired further from the Army Spokesman, he said that he could not provide more details without consulting the Ministry of Defence.

Army Media Spokesman, Brigadier Jayanath Jayaweera, also told Ceylon Today that the Army had identified the above mentioned Captain L.M.T. Wimalasena in the internal probe regarding Captain Tissa.

“We have found that he had been the driver of a prominent politico. But we are not sure whether Captain Tissa about whom you are inquiring and Captain L.M.T. Wimalasena, is the same person,” he said.

As we reported last week, Captain Tissa had been the most trusted driver of the said politico.

The Army Media Spokesman said that the Army had extended maximum support to the CID to identify the suspects of the Thajudeen murder.

Captain Tissa or Wimalasena

However, the Army Spokesman further said that the CID had not informed the Army about Captain Tissa or Captain Wimalasena yet. “We cannot give more details about something the CID had not so far informed us of officially. We must say that Army has nothing to hide from the media,” Brigadier Jayaweera said.

However, we questioned the Army Spokesman if the Army was conducting an internal probe regarding Captain Tissa, whom the CID had identified as a suspect in the case of the murder of Thajudeen. His reply was that there was no such Captain Tissa but one Captain L.M.T. Wimalasena in the Army.

A senior officer of the Police Headquarters said that Captain Tissa and Captain L.M.T. Wimalasena refer to the same person. He confirmed that the suspect’s name is Captain L.M. Tissa Wimalasena.

(Original Caption: Captain Tissa in Jaffna Army Camp)

By Niranjala Ariyawansha / Sunday Leader

Another secret of Thajudeen’s murder revealed

The conclusions of the earlier forensic report and the forensic report issued later regarding popular rugby player Wasim Thajudeen’s death are entirely different. According to earlier report Thajudeen’s death had occurred due to an accident. However, according to the report issued later by a team of expert doctors Thajudeen has been the victim of a well planned murder.

The specialist doctor who conducted the postmortem was Dr. Samarasekera who has a history of struggle. He was the leader of the GMOA in the struggle against Ragama Private Medical School launched by doctors and university students during an earlier UNP regime. He was a president of GMOA. He is the chairman of Malabe private medical school. He has conducted the autopsy in a manner to completely conceal the brutal murder.

When the body was exhumed two thigh bones and certain other important remains were missing. According to Ananda Samarasekera he had advised that the bones should be kept in a refrigerator. However, the remains were not in the refrigerator. The view of the team of expert doctors who conducted the second examination is that there hadn’t been a proper process to protect the remains. As the CID had been ordered to find out how the bones and remains had got lost, they had to get a statement from Dr. Ananda Samarasekera who was summoned to the CID.

After his statement was taken down Dr. Samarasekera had asked the officer who had taken down his statement whether his questioning regarding the incident was over. The officer had said records of Dr. Samarasekera’s telephone conversations would have to be examined to find out whether there was any outside influence to the murder.

At this Dr. Samarasekera’s face had got pale and he had asked the officer where the toilet was. The specialist doctor who used the toilet had come out with urine in his pants.

(Translated from ‘Ravaya’) – Lanka Truth


Latest news

Related news