Acting Cabinet Spokesman and Media Minister Lakshman Yapa Abeywardena, addressing a press conference in Colombo yesterday, said that the country would be prepared for any eventuality and the “Peoples Protests” would resume on Monday and continue until March 23, when Sri Lanka was scheduled to be discussed by the UNHRC.
He,said that the government has made a bigger financial allocation for development work this year and would meet all the targets that had been set.
All political parties, civil society organizations and the public are invited to join the demonstrations, the Minister said.
The cabinet of ministers had approved the provision of loans upto Rs. 250,000 each, to 10,375 former LTTE cadres for self employment purposes,he said adding that an initial sum of Rs 300 million would be released through the Bank of Ceylon to the Rehabilitation and Prison Reforms Ministry,to provide credit facilities to 2000 persons recommended by the Divisional Secretaries.
The rehabilitated ex-militants have been reintegrated into society after being provided with vocational training. Another 765 persons were undergoing rehabilitation, the Minister said.
by Zacki Jabbar