[Joint opposition draws huge crowds]
A survey conducted on patterns of voter behavior at the next presidential election by Prof. Gunapala Nanayakkara, Academic Advisor, Graduate School of Management has shown that joint opposition presidential candidate Maithripala Sirisena leading in Colombo district,
1. There is 23% shift of voter preference away from President towards Opposition candidate
2. Voter interest in the election is high and hence a higher voter turnout is expected.
3. The main reasons deciding voting are ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT and LEVEL OF CORRUPTION. The first factor favors the President, and the second favors the Opposition candidate
4. Voters focus on Candidate’s suitability than his political party.
5. Employed persons and the self-employed tend to favor opposition candidate.
Full report as a PDF:PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION 2015 SURVEY REPORTdoc
Presidential Election 2015:
COLOMBO DISTRICT: SURVEY RESULTS
|Hon. Maithreepala Sirisena||48.3%||355|
|Hon. Mahinda Rajapakse||39.5%||290|
|Total valid sample||100%||735|
Presidential Election 2010:
|Hon. Mahinda Rajapakse||52.9%||616,740|
|Hon. Sarath Fonseka||45.9%||533,022|
|Total valid votes||100%||10,393,613|