Sri Lanka Brief
NewsSri Lanka: Over 300 new complaints on missing in Mullaitivu District

Sri Lanka: Over 300 new complaints on missing in Mullaitivu District

by
The Presidential Commission to Investigate Complaints Regarding Missing Persons has received over 300 new complaints during sittings held in the Mullaitivu District, the Chairman of the Commission told the Colombo Gazette.
Former High Court Judge Maxwell Paranagama, Chairman of the Commission, said that 387 new complaints had been received during a four day period.

He said that the Commission registered the information related to the complainants and will later give them a new date to record their statements.
During the sittings conducted in the Mullaitivu District from last Saturday to yesterday, the Presidential Commission recorded statements from 129 people who were invited to make their submissions.
“Apart from those invited to give statements we had 387 people who came to make fresh complaints over the four days we conducted sittings in the Mullaitivu District. We registered the information of those people and will look at giving them a new date to hear their statements,” he said.
As for the next step, Paranagama said that the information received will be studied and if there are any concerns regarding some of the complaints then those complaints will be investigated and will be forwarded to the Attorney General (AG) for further action.
The Presidential Commission to Investigate Complaints Regarding Missing Persons has so far recorded over 14,000 complaints from the time sittings commenced.
Once sittings are completed a report will be compiled and presented to President Mahinda Rajapaksa. (Colombo Gazette)
Report by Easwaran Rutnam

Back to Top