|With his wife|
Sri Lanka has a 62-year old male, Tissa Karaliyadda, as its Minister of Child Development and Women’s Affairs. These are some of his views about the portfolio he’s running, and the things he wants the country’s women and children to do.
- He thinks having six sisters, a wife and two daughters makes him qualified for holding the portfolio.
- He wants rape victims to marry the rapists, if the victims wished so. In the case of an underaged victim, he wants them to wait till they are adults (which he thinks make more sense).
- He thinks women’s rights are against our culture and religion, and refused to ratify international equal rights conventions.
- He thinks gender equality is a meaningless concept and doesn’t want women to hold responsible positions because “by nature they are unable to get on with each other and constantly fight and slander other women.”
- He wants to control media reporting on rape and sexual violence, and also wants to introduce public caning as means of reducing the incidents of rape in the country.
- He is also willing to hang rapists himself, if he’s given the authority.