LTTE to remain banned; HSZs to continue
With the lapse of the state of emergency at 24.00 hrs on August 30, the government has imposed new regulations under the Prevention of Terrorism Act to keep the LTTE as a banned organization, to retain the High Security Zones and to deal with LTTE surrendees and detainees, officials said yesterday.
President Mahinda Rajapaksa moved the resolution to withdraw the state of emergency last Thursday. Accordingly, the emergency situation lapsed in the country effective from midnight. Once the state of emergency lapses, all regulations promulgated under it also cease to exist. In such a situation, the LTTE which had been proscribed under these regulations would no longer be considered a banned organization. Also, the High Security Zones established under the emergency regulations would cease to exist.
However, Attorney General Mohan Peiris told Daily Mirror that the government had introduced new regulations under the PTA, effective from today, to continue with the remaining High Security Zones and the proscription of the LTTE.
“We will leave no room for de-proscription of the LTTE and the invalidation of the High Security Zones. Also, we need these new regulations to deal with LTTE surrendees and detainees. There will not be any respite in this case, though the emergency lapses,” he said.
As a result, he said, none of the LTTE cadres would be released despite the lapsing of the state of emergency.
Mr. Peiris said, the introduction of these regulations under the PTA was a temporary arrangement until a new law called ‘the Emergency Consequential Provisional Bill’ is enacted in Parliament. He said this would be done very soon and serve the same purpose. The Gazette notification had been released yesterday enacting the new regulations under the PTA.
There are around 6000 LTTE cadres now held in detention or custody. Some of the LTTE cadres are currently undergoing rehabilitation in various centres in the north and the east.